Yield: One 9-inch Pie
(For the pie filling)
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 ½ lbs Boston Butt, triple ground (or ground pork)
- 1 ½ Cups Onion, small dice
- ½ tsp Thyme
- ¼ tsp Sage
- ¼ tsp Cloves, ground
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon, ground
- ½ tsp Pepper, black, ground
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Potato, baked, skin removed, and mashed. (Starchy potatoes such as Russets work best)
(For the pie dough)
- 2 Cups Flour, AP
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2/3 Cup Lard, chilled
- 5 Tbsp Water, chilled
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add water, pork, onions and spices to a large skillet. Over medium heat bring to a boil, stirring ingredients to mix. Reduce heat to low, add mashed potato and stir to incorporate. Simmer for about an hour until thick.
- As the filling thickens, prepare the pie dough. Sift together flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter, mix lard into flour mixture until it resembles coarse corn meal.
- Add water and mix until pie dough just comes together. Do not over mix. Divide dough in two, wrap each piece in plastic wrap and rest in the refrigerator for approximately 1 hour.
- Roll one piece of pie dough to cover the bottom of a 9-inch diameter pie pan.
- Spoon the pie filling into pie crust.
- Roll second piece of pie dough to cover the top of a 9-inch diameter pie pan and place on top of filling. Crimp the second crust and cut steam slits.
- Cover the pie crust edge with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or until brown.
- Remove pie from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Share this recipe