Prep time: 15 minutes (includes chill time)
Cook time: 2 hours
Our Homemade Tortillas Recipe makes 10-12 tortillas; prep time is approx. 15 minutes, and total cook time is 2 hours.
- 2 cups AP flour (300 grams)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons agave
- 2 ½ oz high quality pork lard or beef tallow
- 5-6 oz of warm water
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well.
- Over medium low heat, melt lard and add agave syrup; once melted, using a wooden spoon, slowly drizzle melted lard (warm but not hot) into flour mixture, while stirring. Finished consistency should be crumbly and almost resemble pie dough.
- Next, add water slowly, continuing to use the spoon to incorporate; when dough comes together and is soft but not sticky, stop.
- Transfer to a lightly clean surface (such as a stone countertop or smooth cutting board); lightly dust with flour and transfer dough on top.
- Knead for about 7-8 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Dust surface again with a small amount of flour and cut into 10-12 equal-size pieces. Roll each cut piece into a small ball and set aside in a bowl covered with cling film to rest for 1 ½ hours at room temperature.
- When dough is rested, working with one dough at a time press dough balls out with your fingers unit flat and round. Use a rolling pin to roll out dough, flipping and turning often to maintain a round shape; these don’t have to be perfect. Dough should be quite thin and transparent when held up to the sunlight.
- Cook each tortilla on a 425-degree griddle or a cast iron pan over medium heat. When tortilla starts to bubble up, flip over and continue to cook an additional 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Enjoy fresh or keep aside in a tortillero (tortilla holder) until ready to use!
Note: Try topping these homemade tortillas with our delicious Carnitas!
Share this recipe