TITLE: Plant Manager
SUPERVISED BY: Vice President of Operations
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Plant Manager will lead the attainment of the vison through successful leadership of Maintenance, Quality, Production, and support functions while collaborating with other areas of the organization. Ensure that the facility has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively achieve goals and ensure short and long-term operating efficiencies. The position accomplishes this through a respectful, constructive, and energetic style, guided by the objectives of the company.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the general supervision of the Vice President of Operations, the Plant Manager is responsible for the daily management of production operations through proper leadership and direction of site managers & supervisors. S/He implements, manages, and evaluates operation processes and procedures, in accordance with the standards and procedures set by the organization and makes changes as necessary to achieve desired outcomes.
- Communicate and drive the strategic vision, overall direction, and leadership to the management team and workforce with the goal of generating a perpetually safe work environment, maximum efficiency, profitability, as well as internal and external customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for Safety, Security, Health and regulatory programs on-site including, but not limited to, Process Safety Management/Risk Management plans, emissions permitting and reporting, and support of ongoing safety improvements.
- Provides insight and leadership in driving the plant’s improved performance through employee engagement, lean culture expansion, and employee development.
- Responsible for managing overall operating expenses & expenditures, and budgets.
- Collaborates with senior leadership team & Corporate Chef to ensure the continued growth, improvement, and profitability of the organization.
- Provides timely, accurate, and complete reports on the operating condition of the company to the Vice President of Operations.
- Provide direct leadership to management team and employees to motivate, inspire, challenge, and guide activities pertinent to operational efficiency, quality, schedule reliability, cost & profitability, and internal and external customer satisfaction.
- Collaborates with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of the company.
- Develop, motivate, and lead a high-performance management team; attract, recruit, and retain required members of the management team incorporating trust principles; provide mentoring and coaching as a cornerstone to management development.
- Foster a success-oriented & accountable environment within the company.
- Achieves results personally and through subordinate managers and supervisors.
- Supports the company’s, Mission, Vison and Values Statements, Quality Policy and other policies and procedures in support of an ever improving USDA, BRC certified facility.
- Develop and execute annual and long-term goals, strategies and objectives at the site level to fulfill the growth and financial return objectives of the company.
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with key decision makers and suppliers.
- Collaborates effectively across the organization to achieve financial commitments.
- Develops and tracks Key Performance Indicators and improvement plans against them.
- Prepares and submits the timely delivery of activity and monthly reports to keep management and others informed about the status of plant activities and responses to shortfalls.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, selecting, training, coaching, and developing employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- May be required to travel 10% annually.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Project Management.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Results Driven.
- Business Acumen.
- Decision Making.
- Collaboration & Team Oriented.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Presentation Skills.
- Customer/Client Focus.
- Financial Management.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, typically:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Manufacturing, Management, or related required. Or combination of education and experience.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Manufacturing, Management, or related is a plus.
- Minimum 8-10 years’ progressive operations leadership experience, inclusive of Plant Manager experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a food manufacturing environment required.
- Experience working with family-owned businesses is a plus.
- Experience in building and managing high-performance teams required.
- Working knowledge of BRC, ISO, and / or SQF, and Lean Manufacturing or 6-Sigma certification required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skilled in organizational development, personnel development & coaching, budget & resource development, and strategic planning.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission.
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Experience developing and managing operating and capital investment plans.
- Demonstrable working knowledge and understanding of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement and their importance of driving cycle time and cost out of products produced is required.
- Demonstrated ability to nurture, grow, and strengthen customer and supplier relationships based on strategic management, a bias for action and a track record of results.
- Demonstrated ability to apply logic to a wide range of abstract and practical problems faced in the context of business, and to problem solve for positive outcomes is required.
- Ability to set direction: develop and set strategy, encourage fresh thought, understand the business, and communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- A business builder’s perspective, thought process, and execution capability.
- Strategic orientation with the ability to apply business management principles in the context of the Company’s structure and business, and to think and act opportunistically.
- Detail orientated with the ability to quickly master the subject matter and see it in the context of the broader business framework.
- Highly analytical, with strong financial acumen.
- A collaborative leadership style that demonstrates confidence, assertiveness, sound judgement, ability to build trust and a straightforward tenor to interpersonal relationships.
- Can articulate the big-picture and rally the organization to achieve goals.
- Capable of shifting quickly between the tactical and strategic.
- Is credible and demonstrates adaptability, while leveraging differences and learning through others.
- Will step up quickly to address issues, sees conflicts as opportunities, reads situation quickly, good at focused listening and can hammer out solutions.
- Possesses confidence and managerial courage and is not afraid to stand alone. Holds self and others accountable.
- Command of the English language through written and spoken word.
- Ability to communicate and express ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent planning, organization, leadership, presentation, decision making, analytical skills, and reasoning.
- Strong interpersonal skills, exercising tact, patience, and diplomacy.
- Ability to read and interpret policies and procedures.
- Work to the highest standards to represent the Company in an exemplary manner.
- Ability to maintain confidential information with professionalism and discretion.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job with or without accommodations.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without accommodations.
- Sit, walk, and stand for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
- Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands, and arms.
- Requires ability to occasionally lift or move objects up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to lift files, filing, and retrieving documents.
I have read the job description above and I understand that the knowledge, skills, abilities and assigned responsibilities listed are conditions of my employment with Coast Packing Company. I also understand that the job description may be changed or altered at any time and may not include all of my job responsibilities.