Italian Pork Burgers with Pecan-Basil Pesto
Yield: 6 Pork Burgers
(For the pesto)
- 3 Tbsp Lard
- 1/3 Cup Pecans, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1/3 Cup Basil
- ¼ tsp Salt, smoked
- ¼ tsp Black pepper, ground
- 1/3 Cup Asiago cheese, shredded
(For the burgers)
- 2 lbs Pork, ground
- ¼ Cup + 1 Tbsp Lard (divided)
- 1 Tbsp Italian herbs, dry
- 1/3 Cup Sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed, patted dry, small dice
- 1 tsp Salt, smoked
- 1 tsp Black pepper, ground
- 2 tsp Garlic, minced
(For the burger assembly)
- 6 ea Brioche buns (or hamburger buns)
- ¼ Cup Lard
- 12 ea Slices, red onion
- 1 Cup Spinach, baby, stems removed
1. Add lard to small skillet. Melt over medium heat. Add pecans, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes or until pecans are slightly toasted. Transfer mixture to a small bowl and allow to cool.
2. In a food processor with steel blade, add basil and process for 15 seconds.
3. Scrape down bowl of food processor, add pecan mixture, salt, pepper and Asiago cheese. Process for 15 seconds or until well mixed. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, combine pork, ¼ Cup lard, herbs, tomatoes, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix gently until all ingredients are combined and evenly distributed. Divide pork into 6 portions.
5. Form each portion of pork mixture into patty sized to fit the buns. Make a small dimple in the center of each patty. Set aside.
6. Add 1 Tbsp lard to a 12-inch skillet. Melt over medium heat. Add enough patties to fill skillet and cook approximately 6-7 minutes each side or until internal temperature is 160°F. Repeat until all patties are cooked.
7. Spread a very thin coating of lard over each side of the buns. In the 12-inch skillet, toast buns until golden brown.
8. Assemble burgers. On each bottom bun, evenly divide spinach and onion. Top with pork burger. On the top bun, evenly divide pesto. Add top bun to burger.