10 Reasons Why You Should Be Cooking With Lard
Lard provides the ultimate in versatility for cooking, baking and frying. With superior creaming properties and zero trans fats, it enhances the flavor of breads, makes pie crusts delectable and is ideal for traditional Hispanic and Asian cuisines. Whatever you’re making, here is why lard makes it better:
- Aside from its unbeatable flavor, lard provides optimum nutrition for healthy growth and reproduction, and it helps the body absorb important nutrients.
- Lard is minimally processed. It does not contain the artificial trans fats found in hydrogenated shortenings.
- Lard is made up of 50% monounsaturated fat whereas butter is around 32%. This would suggest you get slightly more essential fats from lard.
- Lard has zero artificial trans fats.
- Lard is naturally stable and solid at room temperature; when heated, it does not release free radicals, which have been linked to cancer, as vegetable oils do.
- Lard health benefits include actually raising levels of good cholesterol.
- Dietary fats help the fat-soluble vitamins (A,D,E and K) to become absorbed into the body.
- Fats promote brain functioning, specifically learning, memory, mood control, and the manufacturing of hormones. Sixty percent of the brain is fat.
- Healthy fats such as lard help cushion the organs.
- Healthy fats like lard help lower inflammation and pain. They help control the metabolic and immune systems. They help regulate the clotting mechanism in the blood, which is crucial for preventing clots that may lead to heart attack or stroke.
Lard is gaining traction as more consumers are educated on these benefits. Make cutting out highly-processed nature of seed oils a New Year’s resolution, and build a diet rich in a variety of whole foods, and reach for minimally-processed natural fats, such as lard, beef tallow, butter, ghee, and the like.
FOR MORE: Recently, we asked contestants in our latest LardLovers Recipe Contest to weigh in on where lard fits in their pantry and in their cooking lives — Learn what they said here!