This Crumble Carrot Cake Caramel Cheesecake recipe, submitted by Brenda Watts of Gaffney, SC, took first place in our 3rd Annual #LardLovers Recipe Contest this December. This winning cheesecake is a nice combination of sweet and savory. It has clean flavors and is not as sweet or heavy as your typical cheesecake. Perfect with a cup of coffee or complementary tea.
- 3/4 cup prepared roasted fresh baby carrots, (peeled, roasted and mashed) (I used Melissa’s brand)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
For Crumbled Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup *Viva Retail Lard, (premium lard), chilled
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup fresh baby carrots, peeled and minced (I used Melissa’s brand)
For Egg-Wash for Pastry Crust:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare pastry crust. In a large bowl, add 1 1/3 cups flour, 1/2 cup lard, and 3 ounces of cream cheese. Using a pastry blender or fork, work the lard and cream cheese into the flour to combine and blend. Shape pastry crust dough into a large flattened disk. Place a large sheet of parchment paper or wax paper over a work surface, and dust over top lightly with extra flour. Roll the pastry dough crust disk into a large circle to fit the bottom and sides of a 9.5-inch deep dish pie plate. Carefully, place the rolled pastry dough crust onto the bottom and up the sides of the deep-dish pie plate, and flute or trim the edges of crust. Keep plate with formed crust in the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crust is being chilled, prepare caramel cheesecake filling layer. In an additional large bowl, beat 8-ounces and 3-ounces of softened cream cheese, caramel topping, 2 tablespoons sugar, caramel flavored extract, vanilla extract and large egg using an electric mixer, over medium speed, until caramel filling is blended and creamy. Spoon and spread the caramel filling layer evenly onto the crust to cover the bottom, and form bottom layer; set aside.
- Prepare carrot cake filling layer. In a medium bowl, whisk the 3/4 cup mashed carrots, 1/3 cup sugar, large egg, egg yolk,sour cream, heavy whipping cream, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie filling, and mix together until just combined but not overly blended. Carefully, spoon the carrot cake filling over top of the caramel filling to cover and gently spread to even carrot cake layer.Place in refrigerator to keep chilled, until crumb topping is prepared.
- Prepare crumbled topping. In an additional medium bowl, add 1 cup flour, brown sugar and cinnamon and stir or whisk together until combined. Add the chilled 1/2 cup lard, and using a pastry blender or fork, work the lard into the flour topping mixture until soft crumbs form. Add the chopped pecans and 1/4 cup minced carrots to crumb topping and stir lightly until just combine. Sprinkle the crumbled topping evenly over the top to cover. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining beaten egg and 1 or 2 tablespoons water until blended. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges of crust with the blended egg-wash mixture. (discard extra egg-wash mixture that was not used). Lightly cover over top of assembled prepared pie with a large sheet of foil to cover and prevent excess browning.
- Bake pie at 450 degrees F. for 15 minutes, then decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake an additional 45 to 55 minutes, or until pie has reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. (*Keep foil over top of pie during entire baking time).Let pie cool over wire rack for 15 minutes, chill in refrigerator of at least 2 hours to chill completely.
- Recipe yields 8 to 10 servings. Store any leftovers covered in refrigerator.