Tender Citrus, Bursting Blueberry Muffins
These winning easy-to-make muffins submitted by Donna Pochoday-Stelmach, Morristown, N.J. are tender, moist and full of luscious blueberries with hints of lemon and orange flavors. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a cup of coffee, for an afternoon snack with a cup of complementary tea.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lard
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure orange extract
- zest of one organic lemon
- zest of one organic orange
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2-3 tablespoons white Demerara, or other coarse sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in bowl, set aside.
- Beat lard and sugar on medium speed in electric mixer, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add extracts and zests. Beat another minute.
- Reduce speed to low, slowly add flour mix, in 3 batches, alternating with milk.
- Remove from mixer, stir blueberries with 3 tablespoons flour to coat, and add to mix, just enough to combine.
- Spread batter among the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle tops liberally with coarse sugar.
- Bake until golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in tins, 10 minutes.
- Transfer to rack to cool.
This easy, tender and moist muffin is full of citrus flavor with a hint of sweet cinnamon, and is bursting with blueberries. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a cup of coffee, for an afternoon snack with a cup of complementary tea.
Share this recipe