This Easter holiday, make that Sunday extra special with recipes that combine sensational taste with the natural goodness of healthy animal fats – so urges Coast Packing Company, the leading supplier of animal fat shortenings in the Western U.S.
“In preparing your Easter feast, one sure way to make family and guests happy is to use the right ingredients,” said Eric R. Gustafson, CEO of Coast Packing. “Lard and beef tallow possess the classic flavor that people love, and that’s reflected in the three recipes we’re showcasing for Easter 2017. Whether you use lard, beef tallow or both, you’ll taste the difference. Today’s smart consumers steer clear of industrially-produced partially hydrogenated fats in favor of healthy animal fats, which have the benefit of being consistently delicious, minimally processed and good for you.”
BLT Salad With Creamy Bacon Dressing
Iceberg lettuce is an ideal choice, because the super crispy texture adds so much to this simple dish. Another option would be romaine hearts. To save time, consider making the dressing three to four days in advance.
- 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise (or high-quality store-bought)
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon bits
- 1 large head of iceberg lettuce, cut into quarters
- 1 pound (or 4 medium) ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pound good quality bacon, cooked (save the bacon fat for the dressing)
- 2 scallions, dark green parts only, thinly sliced
- Place all ingredients for dressing except chopped bacon bits in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade or in a blender. Process until smooth. Add bacon bits and pulse until incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble, quarter lettuce.
- Place each lettuce quarter on a plate along with tomatoes. Drizzle with 1/4 of the dressing and top with bacon and sliced scallion greens. Serve with a fork and knife and enjoy!